Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Identities, what we can do to make them the best we can.

In the story of Jesus Colon, he believes that you should always offer your help no matter how you look and what kind of reputation you have. He believes that you should not let anything come to you, you must go to it. If someone asks for your help you must help them. If you see someone who needs help then you must offer your help not wait for them to ask you because the might not. It is our duty as human beings to help each other come through no matter what he/she looks like or talks like. We are one race

I think that Colon acted like a "rude animal walking on two legs". But in my opinion, I probably would have done the same thing. It is defiantly not the right thing to do. But I close my eyes and think that I was Jesus Colon, I would have been thinking the same things he was thinking about. Would she scream? I would get in real trouble then.

I think that it takes one bad event to make you a better person. In this case when Colon ignored the lady he made a promise to himself that he will always offer his help to anyone he thinks needs it. In Fatmire Feka's case it was the war and separation of her family that made her give speeches to everyone and inspire them. Now Jesus Colons walks away with a promise to keep to himself and I walk away with the knowledge on how to live by my promise.


Poem:


This Poem By James Berry really stuns me. How he used poetry as a form of making us know about difference. I dont really have an answer to these questions and I dont think there is one. A line that really gets to me is "Do we shut our eyes to it or poke it with a stick?-4th line of the poem. This relates to what we do in real life. When you see something of the unknown do you not care?-shut our eyes to it. Or do play around with it and experiment-poke it with a stick. This is exactly what we do with the unknown. This poem has many unanswered question and I dont really understand it so I cant say much about it but it is defiantly about fear of the unknown and exclusion.

The Island:

The Island is a picture book by Armin Greder and it is not so different from other picture books when you first look at it. Little words, Big pictures. But when you thing about it, there is a lot of meaning in the book. There is a huge message and I think a big idea is "fear of the unknown brings no gain" Because they see a poor stranded man with only his boat and reluctantly take him in. The are very scared of him and dont give him any food or let him out. They then banish him and build high walls around their city so no one could get in. Now what if they is disease in their community? They cant get help because they do not know anyone around them to help them because they excluded everyone else. So if you always help people, they will help you back.

No comments:

Post a Comment