Monday, November 29, 2010

Is something really that great that you will sacrifice yourself and others for it?

Aung San Suu Kyi's interview for BBC talks about that the Burmese people have to do fight for democracy together. no man is an island, every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main.-From poem no man is an island by John Donne 1624. In my opinion, Aung San Suu Kyi is one of the greatest souls to have walked this earth. Under house arrest for 15 years. How would that feel? Lonely. Trapped. An animal in a cage. But these are all subdued by one other feeling. The feeling of hope. Hope that one day we will have democracy in Burma, knowing that day will come closer with every day that passes and we will get through those days with our blood, sweat and tears. Then, when she walked out of her house and saw all the people there for her, that hope went away and in came in knowledge.

I think that Aung San Suu Kyi is fighting for all the right reasons, but not in the right way. Do we have to use peace? Is peace really that great we must sacrifice what we are looking for? I think not. when brothers and sisters argue over something huge, sometimes we get in a fight. So what its not the end of the world. I remember this one time where me and my 15 (17 now) year old brother got into a fist fight. I was only 10. Guess who won? But he won because he was bigger. Aung San Suu Kyi is the older brother and the Burmese government is the little brother. Aung San Suu Kyi has the support of the U.N and many other countries but she is not using it to her advantage. I mean, not use all the nuclear weapons on Burma but just threatening the government of Burma to see what we can do.

What I have said on Aung San Suu Kyi could make me seem like a more negative type of person however I still admire her and her words of wisdom. Can any normal person speak on what he/she thinks is right? Can they continue on what they think is right with a gun at their head? a one way ticket to god himself. But I think that If Aung San Suu Kyi uses a little force then they will achieve what they want much quicker and not have to bear the pain and suffering any longer.


You my think that I am extremely foolish to have chosen a tomato soup can painting by Andy Warhol but I have reasons for it. Before we learnt more about Aung San Suu Kyi, did we know a lot about Burma? Maybe some of us did but I sure didnt. In this picture you can only see the front which obviously says "Campbell's condensed tomato soup" Which is the brand and product. It is the most recognizable in the picture and in real life we see the front first. But its whats on the back that matters. What the ingredients are, the expiry date and usually some more information about the product. The front is Aung San Suu Kyi because she Is the leader and is what we look at Burma for. The back is the people of Burma. They are mor important because it is what Aung San Suu Kyi is fighting for



No comments:

Post a Comment